Posted on January 06 2020
Jewelry and watches add a fashionable touch to every outfit. Whether it is a casual ensemble for errands or an elegant evening gown for a gala, the right accessory can elevate your wardrobe and tie your look together.
Most avid jewelry wearers have preferences about their favorite jewelry type and metal color, but branching out from these preferences can be a fun and exciting way to expand your jewelry collection. If you are looking for something versatile and new to add to your collection, consider trying a rose gold piece.
Rose gold has risen to popularity in recent years — and for a good reason! This pink-toned metal complements all skin tones with its delicate color. Rose gold also pairs well with a wide range of stones and stone colors, and its color lends itself to a gender-neutral appeal.
Like all trends, rose gold may be easy to admire on others but difficult to style and pair for yourself without practice. Here are some tips, guidance and inspiration for purchasing and wearing a gorgeous rose gold piece.
What Is Rose Gold?
The answer to this question is twofold, with scientific and psychological implications. Both of these categories make rose gold a unique and stunning watch or jewelry choice.
Most gold jewelry you purchase contains a mixture of different metals rather than pure gold. This is intentional because pure gold is soft and malleable. Jewelers combine different metals in what is known as an alloy to create long-lasting yellow, white and rose gold. Rose gold is composed of an alloy of metals that is durable and blush-colored in hue. It gains its color from copper that is mixed into its alloy. Like yellow or white gold, the percentage of gold in a piece of rose gold jewelry is reflected in the number of karats it has.
Here is an estimate of the alloys you can expect when you browse rose gold jewelry:
- 9-carat rose gold: 37.5% gold, 20% silver and 42.5% copper
- 10-carat rose gold: 41.7% gold, 20% silver and 38.3% copper
- 14-carat rose gold: 58.3% gold, 9.2% silver and 32.5% copper
- 18-carat rose gold: 75% gold, 9.2% silver and 22.2% copper
- 22-carat rose gold: 91.7% gold and 8.4% copper
The different metal combinations among rose gold jewelry will affect how light or dark the color is and the jewelry's durability. In general, the higher the karats, the more delicate the piece will be. Be sure to match your lifestyle and color preferences while you browse to make sure your watch or jewelry will be a good fit.
Colors send a message and evoke specific emotions and thoughts in our minds. Rose gold is no different. Like yellow gold, rose gold is associated with decadence and wealth. Because rose gold is unique, it stands out among yellow and white gold.
Historically, rose gold has been a staple among high-end art and royalty. The jeweler to the Russian Czars, Carl Fabergé, used rose gold in some of his famed Fabergé eggs. In the Victorian era, rose gold was extremely popular for its romantic symbolism.
Rose gold jewelry conveys this same opulence with versatility. Its color is subtle enough to pair casually, but it is also bold enough to stand out. If you're looking for something new, different and stunning, rose gold could be the perfect match.
What Types of Jewelry Are Made With Rose Gold?
Though rose gold is a recent trend, there is a wide variety of jewelry and watch types to choose from. Each type of jewelry expresses and accentuates the rose gold color differently:
- Rings: Rose gold rings highlight any type of colored stone from citrine to amethyst. A rose gold diamond ring allows a diamond to pop against the subtle metal color contrast. Choose from entirely rose gold-colored rings, rings with rose gold prongs or decorative rose gold ring details to find the perfect color and style.
- Watches: A rose gold watch can make a statement. Whether you opt for a solid-colored rose gold watch or a watch with rose gold details, there are plenty of stylish options for both men and women.
- Necklaces: Rose gold necklaces come in a variety of lengths and styles. Rose gold's unique blush color makes a gorgeous necklace on its own, but it also pairs beautifully with diamonds, pearls and more.
- Bracelets: Rose gold bracelets offer a range of styles and designs with a signature light pink hue. Whether you prefer your bracelets thin and delicate or large and embellished, you'll be able to find a plethora of rose gold options.
- Earrings: Rose gold earrings pair perfectly with a variety of hair colors — especially when paired with gemstones and diamonds. Studs, hoops and drop earrings all incorporate the beauty of rose gold with a unique array of designs to choose from.
When you peruse a selection of rose gold jewelry, you may find yourself gravitating toward the types and styles you always wear. While familiar designs provide an opportunity to express your individual style, it may be fun to try something new!
Tips for Picking the Rose Gold Piece for You
While you're browsing rose gold jewelry and watches, it's important to find a piece that matches your lifestyle and fashion sense. Consider your answers to these questions to help you find a piece you'll love:
- Are you in love with the rose gold color?: If you can't get enough of rose gold, consider browsing watches, bracelets and necklaces. The larger nature of these items will allow the rose gold color to shine through so you can enjoy it fully.
- Are you uncertain about the color?: It's natural to approach rose gold with caution if you're used to silver or yellow gold jewelry. Though reviewing some styling tips may help you pair rose gold with your current jewelry and outfits, you may still want to start small. Consider shopping rose gold earrings, rings or watches with rose gold accents to blend your current style with the rose gold trend.
- What kind of lifestyle do you live?: If you're on the go most of the day, it may be easier for you to incorporate rose gold into your wardrobe with a simple watch or necklace. If you attend frequent formal events, it may be worthwhile to invest in versatile rings, bracelets, earrings or necklaces you can pair with evening wear. Those who lead an active lifestyle may opt for rose gold jewelry with lower karats to improve its durability. Others may prefer higher karat jewelry if durability isn't a concern.
- What are your stone preferences?: If you like the classic look of diamonds, there are a variety of rose gold jewelry and watches that incorporate them. If you prefer to add color with different gemstones, you may consider rose gold earrings, rings, bracelets or necklaces.
How to Wear Rose Gold Jewelry
Rose gold jewelry is extremely versatile, which makes styling it a relatively simple task. Take your personal preferences and wardrobe into consideration as you decide what styling types might work best for you.
1. Pair With a Nude Palette
Though rose gold and nude are different colors, they share a similar neutral undertone. This coloring makes it easy to pair rose gold jewelry and watches with the nude clothing and accessories you already own.
To capitalize on rose gold's versatility, you can wear this style in a couple of different ways:
- Neutral on neutral: For a subtle monochromatic look, pair your rose gold accessories with neutral clothing. Women may add a rose gold necklace, watch or earrings to a tan turtleneck, taupe jacket or brown pants. Men may choose a rose gold watch to accent a neutral suit coat or khaki pants. With a rose gold accent, this style is anything but boring.
- Neutral with color contrast: If you prefer a look with more contrast, pair your neutrals with a bold, dark color. Navy blue, black and dark green allow rose gold and neutrals to pop. Women may pair nude shoes, handbags and rose gold jewelry with a dark dress for a sophisticated look. Men may add a rose gold watch to a navy dress shirt or olive green pants for a unique dash of color.
2. Make a Statement With a Watch
Perhaps one of the simplest ways to incorporate rose gold into your outfit is to choose a rose gold watch. Selecting a watch that is entirely rose gold-colored adds a bold touch to any outfit. Watches with rose gold accents around the clock face and on the clock hands incorporate the rose color in a more subtle way.
Depending on the type of watch you select, you can pair it with casual or formal wear:
- Women's casual: An everyday watch should be something you enjoy wearing and seeing often. This largely depends on your style. For some, this may include a casual leather strap, fewer decorative stones and a minimalistic style. For others, this may include decorative gems and a rose gold metal strap. Whatever you prefer, a rose gold watch can make a statement with your wardrobe in every season.
- Women's formal: A rose gold watch for a formal event will typically have more ornate and decorative features. This may include a watch with a bracelet-like wrist strap or decorative clock face embellishments. Coordinate your watch with your formal wear for a cohesive and elegant look.
- Men's casual: A casual men's watch should provide function, versatility and style. Consider the colors and types of outfits you wear most often to select a rose gold watch that will complement your style. For more casual watches, opt for a leather strap and simple design. For something to wear to the office every day, consider watches that incorporate metal and have a sleek look.
- Men's formal: If you're wearing a dark navy, black or charcoal suit, opt for a light rose gold watch to ensure it pops. For a more subtle look that works well with formal wear, consider men's watches with rose gold accents.
3. Mix & Match Metals
You may feel hesitant to pair rose gold jewelry with other silver or yellow gold accessories, but there's no need to worry. Rose gold blends well with both silver and gold. In fact, many jewelry makers incorporate two or three different metal colors into their pieces for added contrast and visual interest.
Consider these metal match-ups when planning your outfit and accessories:
- Rose gold and silver: A rose gold and silver pairing creates contrast. This is due to rose gold's warmer tone and silver's cool tone. If you're accessorizing a monochromatic outfit or an ensemble that needs more visual interest, this match-up may be best.
- Rose gold and yellow gold: Both rose gold and yellow gold have warmer tones, which helps them blend together. Consider this pairing for outfits that incorporate busy prints, colors and patterns.
- Rose gold, silver and yellow gold: You can pair different accessories in each metal color or choose a single piece made with all three colors to achieve this look.
4. Style a Casual Look
Everyone prefers something different when it comes to casual outfits. You may gravitate toward soft fabrics and loose clothes or a trusty pair of jeans. Whatever your go-to look, you may find that casual outfits can be difficult to accessorize. To give your casual pieces a boost, consider jewelry you could see yourself wearing with anything.
This may include items like:
- A simple rose gold pendant necklace
- A trusted rose gold watch
- A single stone ring or rose gold band
- Rose gold stud earrings
- A simple rose gold bracelet or bangle
5. Style a Formal Look
Whether you're attending a charity fundraiser, wedding or business event, your formal outfit isn't complete without jewelry. Formal looks tend to encompass opulent designs and sparkling gemstones. Pairing rose gold jewelry and watches with an evening gown or tuxedo is an excellent way to tie together a stunning look. Consider pieces that incorporate some of these match-ups for an elegant formal look:
- Statement rose gold diamond necklace
- Rose gold diamond cuff
- Rose gold and colored diamond earrings or necklace
- Rose gold and diamond link bracelet or necklace
- Stackable rose gold rings
- Rose gold and pearl earrings
- Diamond-encrusted rose gold watches
Shop Little Switzerland's Selection of Rose Gold Jewelry and Watches
When you're looking for the perfect rose gold piece, why not browse the Caribbean's largest selection of luxury brands at Little Switzerland? Our collection of rose gold rings, watches, necklaces, earrings and bracelets are available in a variety of styles that have been curated from reputable luxury brands. From a sleek Movado rose gold watch to an exquisite Roberto coin rose gold pendant necklace, we have a rose gold piece for every occasion.
Celebrate your trip to the Caribbean with a purchase from the Caribbean's most trusted watch and jewelry retailer for over 60 years. We offer duty-free and tax-free shopping, as well as no-interest financing plans for your convenience. To find the perfect piece for an event or every day wear, browse our selection of fine jewelry and watches today.